Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Is Weariness Next to Godliness? Just Asking...

Well, I haven't complained in a while...

so, here it goes...


My poor husband has too much work. Now, I have never taught college English, it's true, but I majored in ENG, so I can tell you firsthand that three papers/essays a week is not standard for 100-200 level college classes. He not only has these papers to write, but also has to do group assignments each week which involve meeting with another student and coordinating a "controversial topic" paper for which each participant chooses pro or con on an issue. Last week they had a scavenger hunt in the library (HELLO!!! I did this at Mt. Hermon for Mrs. Fowler!!!) and this week they must travel to another college campus and interview a student about campus issues and how they compare to GTCC!!! During all of this, he is expected to read chapters in his textbook AND read a novel, all the while writing a topical essay on each section of chapters from the novel.

B stayed up until 3am Tuesday working on his math and English homework, only to find out today that BOTH of his teachers were giving them extensions on their work! THANKS, BUT IT'S A LITTLE TOO LATE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

I suspect that the ENG teacher's problem is that she has assigned too much work and now finds she has no time to grade all these essays!! B asked her when they could expect their first essay back graded (from three weeks ago!!!) and she complained about how swamped she was. This explains the "field assignments" and scavenger hunts! She needs office time so she cancels class time!

This is her first year teaching college English, and she was previously a High School ENG teacher, so maybe she will see after this semester that this is not her forte.

I do admit that I found a grammatical error on her syllabus when B first brought it home and that I pretty much made my mind up about her at that point. I make mistakes in my writing, too, but NOT when I taught English. It's like a police officer stealing or a French chef serving Spam.

Barry had an Open House for his Danville property on Sunday, but the Register & Bee forgot to run the ad so no one came! Big disappointment. He still has the big project at work going on, so I worry about him and his sanity. The thing is, he never complains, so I just did it for him!! He's tired and stressed. I adore my husband and appreciate everything he does for our family. Say a little prayer that things will ease up on him soon.

OK, let me balance out my complaining with some good stuff! Reese and True got excellent progress reports today. Reese's teacher said he is "honest and polite", and True's teacher called him "conscientious"! Cool, huh? The grades were good, too, but I just loved those adjectives. I'm really proud about the praise they received. (Cole's hasn't come home yet.)

The cats went to the vet yesterday and we found out that they are both girls! No big deal, except we need a more feminine name for her than "Lars"!


Dancing With the Stars started this week, and we have, of course, been watching! Jeffrey Ross going home- who didn't see that one coming?? If Edyta can't make you look good, you're hopeless!

I'm pretty much over Cloris Leachman already. I get it, you're 82 and you can still remember cuss words. Cool, now go home and say them to your cats because we are trying to watch TV with our families. I love Brooke Burke and I think she is the best female so far. My pick for male is Ted Mc Ginley, not because he's the best but because I had an 80's crush on him in Happy Days. The best male is probably Lance Bass, but that Lacey girl is trying too hard to be cool with her pink extensions and her flat boots. Boo! Rocco DiSpirito's mambo was hot last night! Susan Lucci looks terrified, and Carrie Ann didn't help by telling her she needed to gain weight!! Carrie Ann, you are so jealous of the women who come on the show!! You need to ask Susan how she looks that gorgeous at 60 years old and pray that you will, too! Kim Kardashian just isn't doing much moving out there on the floor (it does bother me that when Cole asked who she was I had to explain without mentioning the sex tape that made her famous- really, what else has she done? Club-hopped with Paris???) , and I'm impressed with Misti May Trainor. Toni Braxton looks good so far, Maurice Green is good but I can't stand Cheryl or her annoying hair in her face. Cody Linley and Julianne are cute together, and Warren Sapp is really going to be entertaining! I was impressed by his quickstep! Who knew a giant like that could even take a "quick" step!!

In other celebrity news, Clay Aiken came out of the closet today. In a similar surprise announcement, I would like to reveal that the sky is up.

Barry and I are traveling this weekend to Manteo to my friend's wedding (Brandy). I am singing , and possibly in the rain!! I've never done THAT before! We are excited about getting away together, just the three of us: me, B, and the math book. Nothing says romance like quadratic equations!

This week both my niece, Leah, and my nephew, Neal, have birthdays!! I saw them Sunday and enjoyed pizza and Transformers cake with blue icing. Happy Birthday, guys!!

I miss and love everyone!

!Queso!

6 comments:

The Arnold Family said...

Neal cracks me up! The only advice that I have with school is that whenever my teachers assigned me stupid assignments (like interviewing another student) I would just make it up, I mean who would really find out? I remember an assignment that I had to do in speech pathology where I was supposed to wear a pin that said "I am a stutterer" and I was supposed to go somewhere and pretend to stutter and write about my experience. Seriously, who thinks of these things?
Also I have some suggestions for Lars, Lars-Anne, Larsette (or Larzette), Larlina, Lar-Lee, or Larla.

The Arnold Family said...

Also, telling Susan Lucci she needs to loose weight is like telling the Olsen twins they need to loose weight! Did she really say that? Someone should slap her, have they EVER told a man that...hold on, let me answer that one....NO!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear the Register & Bee left out your ad. I used to work there and that happens A LOT! If you paid for it and they didn't run it you are entitled to your money back. I have a blog about all their mistakes and screw-ups and I also have a blog where I post announcements free. It gets about 10,000 hits a month and lots of folks read it. www.danvilleva.blogspot.com. Send me your info to beckyblanton@juno.com and I'll post it for free! You can send photos too if you want! The news site is www.danville411.blogspot.com

April Talbott Dalton said...

No, I meant to say GAIN weight!! Sorry! I guess you did think that was insane. Still, it was rude and none of her business...

The Arnold Family said...

Well that is more believable....however that has nothing to do with dancing.

Anonymous said...

I also would make things up if they were stupid assignments and I didn't have the time :)
Carrie

Where in the World Are You, Blogstalkers?

Movies I happen to love...

  • Dan in Real Life
  • Bram Stoker's Dracula
  • I Am David
  • Life is Beautiful
  • Moonstruck
  • No Country For Old Men
  • Ratatouille
  • The Count of Monte Cristo
  • The Usual Suspects
  • Waking Ned Devine
  • When Harry Met Sally

HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere are
44
people with my name
in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?


mom and me

mom and me