Saturday, September 6, 2008

More Comp Photos & Dalton Report



I hope everyone is well and happy!

We are doing fine here. School is off to a great start, work is running smoothly, and soccer is in full swing! It definitely feels like fall, even if it's still hot out!

Barry got an A on his first paper in English, which doesn't surprise me, but makes me very proud anyway. True has made several new friends in his class and still likes his teacher! I have talked to several parents who have been in the school here longer than me and they all rave over her, so it's a good sign. Reese is going on an AL trip in November to Outer Banks to study the sealife and marshlife there. He's really excited. Cole loves his classes, especially drama! He excited about the upcoming pig dissection in Science...I can smell the formaldyhyde just thinking of it!!!!
I am happy with my new administration and have several plays and scenes in production at school. It's amazing what you can get done in small classes! Yesterday, I had to give my beloved 6th graders a speech about how to treat people with disabilities and differences. They had been mercilessly teasing a little guy who has multiple physical and mental limitations. I told the student being teased to go and get a head start to his next class and then I shut the door and told the rest not to move or breathe. I not only used my teacher voice, I used my MAD TEACHER voice, and you could have heard a pin drop! I let them know in no uncertain terms that nobody in this classroom or in this life is better than anyone else, and that we have to treat others the way we would want people to treat our family members if we weren't there to take up for them. I told them that they had figured out the easiest , fastest way to see me angry and that I would be watching them like a hawk to see who would win the title of "First Office Referral of the Year". I hope it made an impression, because I do not play around when it comes to this subject. My heart breaks every time this student speaks in class because I know it will trigger giggles and eye-rolling. Children are so cruel in middle school! Pray for this student, and all the others who suffer in their inclusion classes while at school without the protection of their parents.

OK, I have more pictures from the competition! Barry and I found out that we also won $300 in scholarship money, which is really awesome.
Don't get mad at me for saying this, but we love comments! The last time I complained about the lack of comments, people went nuts, so all I'm saying this time is...I really like to hear from you! I think some of you don't know how to leave them, so just click at the bottom of the post where it says "comments" and you can leave one on the next screen- you do not have to be a blogger! You can choose "anonymous" and then type your name in your message. Comments make blogging fun for us!
Take care!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course I love the pics! I am glad to hear that everything is going well with school.
Good Job on that paper Barry!!

Anonymous said...

Good job Barry! I'm glad True likes his teacher and I know he will have plenty of friends. Reese is going to have a great time at the outer banks, but I bet they will have to really work hard. I can't think about the pig thing, yuk. Can't wait to see you in a play Cole. Maybe what you said will sink in to one student and they will learn to treat others with kindness. love you all

Anonymous said...

You look beautiful in your dancing pictures.

Anonymous said...

sounds like everything is going great for you all i,m so happy for all of you. and very proud of you. sounds like schools there have nice trips around here martinsville is as far as they go i love all of you

Anonymous said...

You go girl! My heart aches for that little child, Thank you April for being the voice he needs, you are one in a million for sticking up for that precious child. Too bad every person in a place of "power" does not speak up for these sweet kids. I don't remember any teachers taking the time to speak out like you did. We need more teachers who care ,after all they spend so many hours at school who will be their voice? Thank YOU!! What a cruel world we grow up in.

Where in the World Are You, Blogstalkers?

Movies I happen to love...

  • Dan in Real Life
  • Bram Stoker's Dracula
  • I Am David
  • Life is Beautiful
  • Moonstruck
  • No Country For Old Men
  • Ratatouille
  • The Count of Monte Cristo
  • The Usual Suspects
  • Waking Ned Devine
  • When Harry Met Sally

HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere are
44
people with my name
in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?


mom and me

mom and me